Thursday, March 31, 2011

Old Song: Earthquake (peak-oil mix) / Jumpin' Jehosephat

I probably recorded this in mid-late 2004. It started out as an instrumental track, and then I wrote a song around it. I recorded a million vocal takes, riffing on the words and melodies I wrote. When that was done I was at a loss for what to do with it all, so I gave the masters to my friend Komputadora. He did some really brilliant editing, and called it the "peak-oil mix", a reference to "the point in time when the maximum rate of global petroleum extraction is reached, after which the rate of production enters terminal decline." (quote from wikipedia)

After enjoying the heck out of it for a while, we both more or less forgot about the track. But, Komputadora recently remembered about it and asked me for a copy, having lost his own when he destroyed his computer by wielding it in self-defense during a batched bank robbery. Rather than just send it to him privately, I thought I'd post it up here for the benefit of the entire human race.


Here are the lyrics. Cut up and improvised as it is, they aren't necessarily in order or super-accurate.

earthquake comes quickly underneath
welcome the new american species
feel the shake coming on so quickly

magma flows and panty-hoes are weighing out pros and cons
ya'll better know where mother goes, when everything's going wrong
gonna be accidents and fender dents when you put that pedal down
everybody jump like jehosephat when you hear that funky sound

i don't know but i've been told, the end is coming soon
floods and fires and pestilence, are sprouting up in my room
you might call me paranoid, and thats probably true
im just gonna jump like jehosephat its the sensible thing to do

No comments:

Post a Comment