Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Got Physically Assaulted

It was a Tren Way Tuesday Birthday Ride in honor of Dionysius Marin. Probably the shortest ride I've ever been on, which was fine because we went to the freshest park in L.A. It's on a hill and they can't see you from the street when you're drinking beer and smashing a pinata and climbing on the various awesome toys. After that: Tren Way Park, more beers, singing, playing with yo-yos, and Spider-Man flashlights. Then we tried to go to Bowling Karaoke Place but they were CLOSED. So, we went to John's Stupid Fucking Bar. Lance bought me a glass of tasty beer and we proceeded to dominate the juke box for about 15 songs. We picked some really good stuff. I was happy because I was hanging out with some of my favorite people and I was drunk because I was filled with beer. During the silence between songs while the jukebox was changing cd's I would sing and fill the space. That's pretty much what I remember. I lost myself in the noise of the situation, as I tend to do from time to time. Things went on like that for a while.

Next thing I know, somebody has their hand on my neck and is rapidly dragging me through the bar, out the door, and onto the sidewalk. I've never been in a fight in my adult life, let alone surprise attacked by some big-ass motherfucker. It turns out the guy was the bouncer. I guess the bartender didn't like my singing, and he let the bouncer know. The bouncer then went ape-shit on Mateo. I was out there on the sidewalk and there were people all around, yelling and all sorts of bullshit, and there is some big ass dude that fucking HATES me, for no reason.

Honestly, I wasn't really mad at the guy. I was mostly just confused. I didn't know what his deal was, and I didn't particularly care. I wasn't at all interested in trying to hurt him back. However, I'll be god-fucking damned if I let anybody try to tell me what to do for no fucking reason, so I stood up, kept cool, and tried to walk back into the bar to resume the party, whereupon he pushed my stupid ass back on the ground. I'm pretty good at falling, so I think I could have kept it up all night. In retrospect, I think I was trying to do the "Jesus" thing, you know, turn the other cheek and all that. I was trying to show him what an idiot he was. If I would have reacted violently - or if I had run away - those are reactions that he is probably used to. Instead, I offered him a chance to see himself for what he was, a guy who would beat up some innocent drunk for no reason. Or not, I could just be totally self-righteous.

So anyway, after getting pushed down a couple of times, and getting back up to get pushed back down, Bouncer Guy is being held back and fuming like a bull at a rodeo, and now my own friends are yelling at me, telling me to stop it. I was broken-hearted. I was the victim and then all of a sudden my own friends are blaming me for something? Fuck them. Some douche-bag had been riding with us and actually got in my face and started trying to do the violent confrontation thing, too. Fuck that guy. I thought about it for a while today, and I'm pretty sure my friends were just trying to cool the situation and protect me, seeing as I appeared pretty intent on getting beat up all night long. But not douche-bag, he had hate in his eyes when he looked at me. Fuck him, still. But yeah, Kel yelled at me, and Borfo yelled at me, and I know they both love me so I got on my bike and rode my stupid ass off, along with everybody else. I was pretty rattled, so I stopped at the Stronghold to decompress a little. I have reason to believe that I passed out on the toilet.

I woke up fairly early the next morning and went through Pasadena on my way home to treat myself to a breakfast burrito at Lucky Boy. I missed my political science class, (thank god), but made it to orchestra rehearsal for our first read-through of Stravinsky's Firebird suite. My ankle hurts. My back hurts a lot. I'm blaming it on the playground equipment, though. No meathead stupid fucking bouncer can touch me.

4/4/2011 - Apparently it wasn't super clear and rather than go to the trouble of rewriting a stupid blog post I'm adding this post-script just in case anybody actually reads this. So: I was hurt at the time, but I realized later that my friends (Kel, Borfo, and those not named) were looking out for me and I am not mad at them at all. In fact, I love them more than ever. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment