Friday, April 8, 2011

New Version of a Newish Song: Salvation Mountain

I didn't mean to do it. I was messing around in the "studio" (aka the dingy half-garage where I sleep and keep my things) and all of a sudden I had a full band-style recording of "Salvation Mountain".


I wish I had filmed it - would have made for a neat video. Given the lack of space, it is a mega fucking hassle to record a full drumset, even one as small as mine. So, I recorded the drums one instrument at a time. I took the beater off of the kick pedal, mic'd the drum and went to town. I recorded the snare without sticks: just fingers like drumming on your desk. Etc. Etc. Everything was close mic'd, so you can't hear the acoustic suckiness of my room. It was really fun, and really easy, and I only had to do one take on everything.

Oh, and I think the vocals are terrible, but whatever.

3 comments:

  1. I think it really is a cool version! This is a great song for your band's set list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice to hear some vocal harmonizing at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for listening.

    I actually did try briefly to put some harmonies on it, but that started to get complicated so I took the easy way out by tripling the vocals and smothering them in delay. Not my favorite sound, to be sure, but this project was all about quick and dirty and done. If I ever get a real band going I might work that stuff out.

    ReplyDelete